Thursday, January 04, 2007

3rd Blurbling

Hope everyone had a happy new year. I have a good feeling about 2007. I think it's gonna be a good year. Better than the last one, anyway; not to sound to whiny, but I can hardly see how it could be worse.

Yep, we're Blurbling again. I find I kind of enjoy these, so they're probably going to be a staple of this blog's content for a while.

Blurbling III, esq.

I'm starting to find that one of the big advantages to having a review blog is that occasionally people send you free stuff for mentioning their name. On a related note, I've been listening to Fishing for Comet's CD, Scattered Among the Archipelago. A solid chunk of music, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a shill. I found the tendency towards intellectual lyrics and richly textured production to be quite pleasant, but on the other hand some might find a couple of the songs a little too sugary to their tastes. Now, if only we could get them to tour outside of Texas...

And while we're sucking up giving objective opinions about wonderful things, I recently came across a, well, I suppose you would call it a webcomic, but it really has little in common with any other object I have used that term for. With absolutely incredible eclectic art, and writing that doesn't just border on pretentious but has actually invaded and set up a brutal dictatorship, it was more or less predetermined that I'd be a fan of Dresden Codak. Note that as of this writing, the most recent comic is mostly a joke, and you'll need to go back a page to get to the good stuff. I would also like to state that I would pay good -- possibly even real -- money to play Dungeons and Discourse.

I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but I picked up the translated copy of the first of Keiichi Shigusawa's Kino no Tabi novels. The translation is solid, but imperfect, choosing to leave out a lot of the book's unique terminology: Persuaders become just handguns, et cetera. There's also a bit of wonderful incongruity in that there's quite a lot of descriptive, bloody violence going on, especially in the later chapters, but the characters all say things like "darn" and "crap". They also rearranged the chapters, which doesn't have a huge effect, since the chapters are pretty well self-contained, but it seems rather unnecessary. I can understand -- even if I don't agree -- some of it: putting Land of Adults first to get the back-story out of the way right out of the gate, but then I feel that Land of Peace has more of an impact to end on than Colosseum, so I dunno.

Neverwinter Nights 2 is proving to be a rather effective time-waster. It plays rather more like the Baldur's Gate games than the original Neverwinter Nights, which is a good thing in my book. The NPCs are actually interesting this time around, and the new Warlock class is a lot of fun, but there are some quibbles: for instance, the camera is always centered on the character you're controlling, which makes it very difficult at times to get people where they need to be. And the NPC AI can be rather poor, which leaves you with the unpleasant choice of either micromanaging every little thing they do in combat, or letting the AI waste spells and abilities because you don't feel like baby-sitting them. It's not as much of a deal-breaker as it may sound, but it is aggravating at times.

And that's it for this round. Now, if y'all will excuse me, I'm off to work on getting my WoW characters prepped for The Burning Crusade. Later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Random link script provided by
JavaScript Kit